Lee-Jon

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Zappa and censorship

In England censorship arguments sound a bit like: “If don't want to see that kind of thing. Don't look at it” followed by shoulder shrugging and reaffirmation of our lack of social skills by tactfully digressing to weather talk. When we do this we just agree with what the other person said. In fact as I type it is pretty sunny outside. But I digress.

Unlike the fusty brits, Americans do things much more flamboyantly. If they’re not shooting at British soldiers they’re raining frogs down at those less intelligent, and less god fearing than them. Don’t like what someone has to say? Then make them stop! The Parents Music Resource Center, which included prominent senator’s wives as members, was one such institution hell bent on censorship in the mid 80s. It presumed that the decline in nuclear families meant that children sought out other influences and thus were greatly susceptible to corruption by these forces. When I say forces I’m not talking about nonce-men and Mormons; think more rock music and black culture.

In between giving people a right ticking off, they tried to censor, ban and change the musician’s naughty ways. Fuck you I wont do what you tell me? Actually you will! Er... because after our RIAA lobbying you swears-people have a little Parent Advisory sticker on you, like a gluey gipsy curse.

The PMRC were widely criticized by those citing First Amendment, and other equally boring retorts. Getting to the sunny point… one such critic was Grand-Master Zappa who sent loads of industry bods long anti-censorship letters. Like Paris Hilton, this is now spreading across the net like thrush in a brothel. So be the first to read what the maestro said. Oh and the PMRC had a sticker but on Zappa's Jazz from Hell - an instrumental album. Why? It contained the song title G Spot Tornado.

Click here to go to Flikr with scans of the full letter.

EDIT: Talking of censorship, I’ve been recently informed that the £22 000 a year Kings Bruton boarding school in Somerset blocks my website. It could be because I’m rude – but maybe its because I’m the wrong end of the class scale. My house isn’t even worth £22k, come to think of it I don’t even have a house let alone a castle. I’ll never know the real reason. Look out for my redeeming posts on Hockey sticks, wax jackets and bucked teeth. You posh twats.

tags ( | | )

2 Comments:

At 4:00 pm, April 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I love teh zappa

 
At 6:11 pm, April 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably is cause you's a pikey mate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home